Sunday, December 8, 2019

Top 10 Best Hit Songs of 2019


By: James Southworth

What a weird, and somewhat underwhelming, year for the Billboard Hot 100. Not a whole lot of interesting stuff happened, with the significant exception of "Old Town Road" breaking the record for most consecutive weeks being number one on the charts. While I wasn't huge on the song, I won't deny it had a charm to it, and I found it pretty entertaining that this song was able to block other big artists from clenching the spot. For that reason, the song will be getting an honorable mention, but I can't in good faith put in my top 10. Besides that big event, Billboard this year has been... mediocre. I wouldn't say we got as many insufferable songs this year as in 2018 (but trust me, there are some bad ones, which you can see in my "Worst Songs" post on this website). I actually found it hard to find hit songs that I passionately enjoyed this year, which was odd, because even in the past two years I've been able to do so. Only one hit song here will even be making my list for "Best Songs of 2019" (another article coming your way later in December). I still made a list though, so here we go: the top 10 best hit songs of 2019!

Honorable Mentions: Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus- "Old Town Road", Logic ft. Eminem- "Homicide", The Chainsmokers- "This Feeling", Lizzo- "Good As H*ll", Dua Lipa- "Don't Start Now", Ed Sheeran ft. Khalid- "Beautiful People"

10. "If I Can't Have You"- Shawn Mendes


This is the first appearance of this particular artist on any list of mine. For me personally, he's just been far too uninteresting to really care about. Mendes did have some good songs on his last album- particularly "In My Blood"- but none of his songs have really been up there enough to make an official list. This song is a different story. I know a lot of people have compared this song to his other hit "There's Nothing Holding Me Back", and I can definitely see the similarities. However, something about this song just appeals to me more. Maybe its the peppy piano combined with the nice guitar arrangements. Or maybe it's the way that Mendes is able to have a lot of fun with the higher end of his vocal range. That's probably the big key to making this song work: it's shameless fun. It might be melodramatic in some ways, but I don't think the song is taking itself too seriously. The chorus is very catchy and will stay in my head for days if I hear it. Plus, at least this song devotes itself to its upbeat style, unlike the slew of middle-of-the-road cuts that came out this year. I recommend it!

9. "Never Really Over"- Katy Perry


Every year, it seems like an artist makes my top ten hits list that I never thought would see the light of day- 2019 actually has two such artists. Even with opening up to a lot of different genres of music during my later teenage years to the present, I still don't get Katy Perry's hype. It seemed her last album really wore off even the most loyal of fans, as the release didn't do super well, and Perry didn't have many significant hits off the album either. I was expecting more of the boring, faux-dark drivel when I went in to hear her new song "Never Really Over". I was very surprised with what I discovered. This song is upbeat, optimistic, and well-produced. Even Zedd, who was part of the making of this song, actually ends up making the cut better. Perry's voice benefits from his production; against this more catchy electronic sound her voice works to a great degree. It's not like the song is jaw-dropping or anything, but it's still the best thing that Perry has made since "Hot N Cold". This song is an easy and fun listen; you wouldn't be wasting your time if you decide to give it a try.

8. "Better"- Khalid


Khalid easily ranks among the top of my favorite newer pop artists. He knows how to make a hit, and he also knows how to make something that is creative and interesting to listen to. That's certainly the case with "Better", which is perhaps Khalid's best song to date. I really enjoy the relaxing vibe this song almost effortlessly exudes. It feels like it's perfect to listen to on a night drive. As always, Khalid is a natural at letting his voice have really well-done, subtle R&B tinges. It makes you feel like you're listening to something that is equally modern and timeless. I appreciate that this relationship centered song feels like a legitimate plea for a girl to not hide her feelings from Khalid. The sentiments are realistic, and even have a sort of weight put behind them in the way that Khalid is singing. I particularly enjoy the ending of this song, where there are all sorts of weird vocal manipulations put behind Khalid's voice. It makes the track almost feel otherworldly, which is a cool idea. It's because of tracks like this that I always look forward to what this artist has in mind to do next.

7."Bad Guy"- Billie Eilish


This is sure to be a pick that will appear on a lot of top hits lists this year, and there is good reason why. Billie Eilish is an artist I'm sure most people have heard of by now. She exploded in a big way onto the music scene, reminding of other surprising artist blowups like Lorde or Adele. I think Eilish will have a lot of staying power, especially considering how overall great her debut album "When We All Fall Asleep..." was. "Bad Guy" did amazing on Billboard Charts, and deservedly so. I really appreciate how satirical the song is, and how dedicated Billie is to embracing this sleazy persona. It's clear she doesn't really believe what she is saying, but still has fun trying to convince us she does. Somehow the "duh" hook here still remains catchy, even though it shouldn't. The ending dark trap beat threatens to ruin the song, but thankfully does not overstay its welcome. FINNEAS's production here helps elevate the song, doing a lot of the heavy lifting. Even though there is a Billie song I like better than this one (you'll see it on another list of mine coming later this year), this song still deserves some recognition for sure. But please, for all that is good and holy, don't listen to the remix with Justin Bieber. It totally ruins what the original song was supposed to be.

6. "Lover"- Taylor Swift


Here's the other artist I didn't ever expect to make any top 10 best lists. I used to be a pretty avid Taylor Swift hater. No joke, in my teenage years she was probably my least favorite artist. I used her as the standard for generic pop music, and I don't think that's quite fair to her. Now, I still have my problems with Swift- I still can't stand "Reputation", and most of Taylor Swift's biggest hits annoy me to no end (especially cuts like "We Are Never Getting Back Together" and "Shake It Off"). When I looked into Taylor's deep cuts though, I saw an artist that I could like. I was pleased to see what I felt was a deep cut, "Lover", making it onto the Hot 100, and still being there right now. The song has a sort of classical ballad feel to it, and bleeds some genuine emotion. I also think the bridge of the song is one of the better written moments of Swift's entire career. The song is understated yet effective in how Taylor expresses genuine love for the person she's been with for three years now. Jack Antonoff's natural feeling production lifts this song even higher, making it feel like something that will probably still feel fresh years from now. I like this song quite a bit, and I think that even the most cynical of Taylor Swift's critics might be surprised by what this track has to offer.

5. "Sweet But Psycho"- Ava Max


This was the first hit song of 2019 to really stand out to me, and it has continued to stay in my mind throughout the year. I'll tell you why. First of all, this song's chorus is one of those things that just hooks its claws in you and doesn't let go. Even Max's stuttering of syllables has a sort of charm to it. It's rare that I enjoy a pop song that does this quirk, but Max does it to the point where it doesn't overstay its welcome. The verses of this song might be even a little bit better in how much fun Max is having with satire. On the surface it seems like this song is calling its woman protagonist a "psycho", but it's really not. Instead it's speaking to the stereotype of women being called crazy just for expressing their feelings. Max pokes fun at this negative stereotype, and because of that, empowers her protagonist and other women as well. It's a pretty cool way of taking ownership of this harmful trope. The fact that the song has fun with it all along the way just makes it work that much more. I'm so glad this song did well, and I'm extremely excited to hear more from this Ava.

4. "Sucker"- Jonas Brothers


The Jonas Brothers being back is such a surreal thing to occur, and yet it almost doesn't surprise me. I'm actually glad they're back; I remember liking this group when they were on Disney channel, as they were some of the few singers on Disney that seemed like they had multi-faceted talents. Unfortunately, I was lukewarm at best on their comeback album "Happiness Begins". That isn't the case, though, for the lead single "Sucker". Conceptually, this song might be very simple as just expressing how much the brothers love their respective girlfriends, but I think the sentiment is mainly endearing. The presence of actual guitars and drums is nice to hear as well, and the electronic elements are tastefully used. The way Nick and Joe trade off their vocals is sure to make anyone who was familiar with the brothers from their childhood feel nostalgic. Even the whistling, which I usually view as a filler tactic in pop songs, somehow works to this track's advantage. I hope that we hear more songs like this in the Brothers' future, as they nail this pop/rock styling.

3. "Dancing With A Stranger"- Sam Smith ft. Normani


Sam Smith has always stood out to me as a vocalist. I remember how impressed I was when I first heard him on "Latch". His voice worked perfectly against Disclosure's lush electronic landscape. Unfortunately, on his debut album, it seemed to be like Smith mostly abandoned this genre and instead went with more typical pop tropes. So, when I first heard "Dancing With A Stranger", it put a huge smile on my face. Smith's voice works so well against the unsettling, pulsating electronic beat. The way his voice pairs with Normani's creates an undeniable match. I really like the harmonies the two have. Both of their verses are lyrically intriguing as well. I appreciate that this song, subject wise, keeps things mysterious. Are the two talking about one another when they mention the 'stranger' they're dancing with? Or are they talking about another person entirely? It made me interested in the song, and the way the electronics push this song forward makes it all the more enjoyable to listen to. I'm hoping Sam's new album will have sounds similar to this track, because this song works in pretty much every way imaginable.

2. "Circles"- Post Malone


Post Malone is really revealing himself to be one of the best modern-day pop vocalists out there. Maybe it's because he's not afraid to explore multiple genres, as is shown very clearly on his new (and quite good) album "Hollywood's Bleeding". I mean, come on, he brought Ozzy Osbourne onto a song. Post might be one of the first artists in a long time to be able to bridge the gap between pop and rock, and I am optimistic about those possibilities. "Circles" is a perfect example of how Post Malone is able to combine pop and rock sounds to great effect. The song begins with an acoustic guitar put against a dark electronic sound. I appreciate the way the acoustic guitar runs throughout the song, really accentuating the emotion in Post's voice. This song has a sort of tragic weight to it in Post Malone discussing this relationship that keeps going but is doomed to fail: "Seasons change and our love went cold/Feed the flame 'cause we can't let go/Run away, but we're running in circles.../I dare you to do something/I'm waiting on you again". These are some of the better lyrics I've seen in any pop song this year. Post Malone's voice is excellent in this song, with his warbling quality being an undeniable trademark of his now. This song deserves being number one on the Hot 100. You've probably heard this song, but if not, it's certainly worth a listen!

1. "Nothing Breaks Like A Heart"- Mark Ronson ft. Miley Cyrus


It is absolutely CRIMINAL that this song didn't do better on Billboard. Mark Ronson is one of the most underrated producers out there right now, and deserves a lot more recognition for the creative work he does in the pop sphere. "Late Night Feelings" is actually a really good pop album as a whole, boasting a variety of genres and unique guest performances. Ronson typically manages to elevate his vocalists a lot in what he does for them with backing production. He certainly elevates Miley Cyrus on "Nothing Breaks Like A Heart". Not only is this the best hit song of 2019 for me, this is also one of the best songs of the year! I typically can't stand pop tinged country songs, but Ronson knows how to do it tastefully. The song fits the type of tracks Ronson was wanting to make for this album- he calls them "sad bangers". This track is definitely that, as it is pretty upbeat (but in an understated, low-key way). Cyrus's voice cuts deep on this song as she frankly talks about how the world will leave you with deep scars, and yet losing relationships with those you love the most will leave you more broken than anything else. The song is pretty heart-wrenching in that regard, and the backing music doesn't cheapen the music- in fact, it almost makes it feel all the more real to the listener. This song proves Mark Ronson and Miley Cyrus should not be underestimated. Though I love "Uptown Funk", I hope more of Ronson's songs get more recognition.

Those were my Top 10 Hit Songs of 2019. What were yours? Be on the lookout for more lists coming soon. Up next: the Top 50 Best Songs of 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment