Monday, December 17, 2018

Top 10 Best Hit Songs of 2018




By: James Southworth

Somehow, for the mainstream 2018 music was even worse than last year. I thought that we had hit a pretty significant low last year, but that I was sadly proven wrong. In a year of incessant album bombs, streaming pushing stuff to the top that didn't deserve to be there, and WAY too much Drake making the charts, it was hard to be optimistic about anything on the Billboard Hot 100. Nevertheless, I still tried my best to keep track of the hits. I like to try to keep an open mind with everything. Despite all the bad, there was still a decent amount of good that made the charts. And I would say the highs this year are a little higher than last year's (though keep in mind the lows are much lower than 2017 as well). Here are my top 10 hit songs for 2018!

Honorable Mentions: twenty one pilots- "Jumpsuit", Charlie Puth- "Done For Me", Shawn Mendes- "In My Blood", Eminem ft. Joyner Lucas- "Lucky You", Taylor Swift- "Delicate", Post Malone- "Stay"

10. "Nice For What"- Drake



Wait what? A Drake song actually managed to make my top 10 best? Trust me, I'm a little shocked as well. I even complained in my intro here that there was way too much of Drake that saturated the Hot 100. That is very much so the case. Pretty much his whole 24-song album "Scorpion" came onto Billboard all at once, and it sets a troubling precedent that any album could make it onto the charts easily. Nevertheless, we did get at least one good song on the album. Unlike many Drake cuts, this song actually has a nice peppy beat to go along with it. It's something that I can easily nod along to. Drake's relaxed flow works to near perfection against this more upbeat sound. Why doesn't he do this more often than his typical "sad rapper" shtick that he always seems to latch on to? If he had more songs like this, maybe I'd enjoy his songs more. I also like the lyrical content of this song, as Drake celebrates strong, independent women everywhere. This isn't done in a super annoying or pandering way (unlike a certain other song about girls that is making my worst songs of the year). Instead, Drake does it in a way that sounds genuine. I think most all listeners can agree with the sentiments he is expressing, which is why this song did so well. I'm glad it had success. Maybe we can get more songs like him in the future for that reason. I certainly hope so.

9. "Sit Next To Me"- Foster The People


I'm really mad with myself that I forgot to include Foster The People's stellar album "Sacred Hearts Club" somewhere in my top albums for 2017. Somehow, I just completely forgot about it. I didn't expect it would be Billboard Hot 100 that would give me the chance to briefly talk about this incredibly underrated band. You probably know them from their huge hit "Pumped Up Kicks". If you aren't a big fan of them, then there's a high chance you haven't heard any other songs by them. Thankfully, this cut had modest success on the charts. In would often hear it whenever I turned the radio on or if I was in public. Anytime I did, it just put a smile on my face. I think part of the reason is the song just has this relaxing, cheerful vibe to it. The way electronics and guitars are put together in this track is tastefully done. It creates a sound that is really satisfying to the ears, and reflects the type of sound that FTP does the best. This song isn't super profound or anything; in fact, its theme is simply about two people trying to get to know one another better through casual conversation. I think there's something to be gained from the simple observation that sometimes all we need to do to get into legitimate relationships with one another is being in closer proximity, both physically and mentally. It's something that the world needed to hear this year, and FTP does great at presenting it in a lighthearted but still poignant way.

8. "High Hopes"- Panic! At The Disco


As I listened more and more to Panic's album "Pray for the Wicked" this year, its initial effects wore off. While I still appreciate it for its theatrical energy and bombast, once you go past that there isn't a whole lot to dig in to. Even the constant usage of brass instrumentation and big synths can get tiresome after a while. The lyrics also tend to be pretty uninteresting. I still enjoy "High Hopes" quite  a bit though. It was a pleasant surprise to see a track by Panic chart in the Billboard top 10 when Brendon Urie is not usually someone you'll see on the charts. I do think this song was a breath of fresh air for the Hot 100, though. In a year where a lot of pop songs were middle of the road- not too fast and not too slow- this track instead goes full on upbeat. The use of trumpets in this track works quite well and will easily put a smile on your face. The lyrics are typical of a pump-up/motivational song, but it's not to the point where its eye-roll worthy. The fact that the song is also sort of a thank you note to Urie's mom gives it a bit of a unique, touching aspect to it. The chorus in this cut is ever catchy. Any time I hear this song, it takes me days to get out of my head, and I'm not gonna complain about that.

7. "Back to You"- Selena Gomez


I never thought that I'd say the best thing that came out of Season 2 of the TV show "13 Reasons Why" was Selena Gomez. And yet, here we are. If you saw my review of the second season of 13RW, then you know that not only was I disappointed by it, but I actually hated it for the most part because of the messages it gave to its audiences. However, Selena Gomez's track "Back to You", meant to promote the show, is actually pretty good. It keeps its messages relatively safe, but still relatable. I think there is a certain sincerity to this track as Gomez expresses her desire to love this person no matter what the circumstances are. She knows that even when she is with someone else that this person will still be the one she will ultimately go back to. Now how this relates to the show, I'm not exactly sure. But I think it will resonate with Gomez's key audience. I think appreciate this song less for the lyrics and more for its musicality. The track keeps things fairly simple. The electronics and synths are incorporated in such a way that it's not too annoying to hear them. In fact, they create a sort of comforting and chilled atmosphere. That atmosphere works very well for the themes that are used in this cut. There's a drop in this track which serves as the hook, and I like that part of the song as well. It's something that I hum along to in my head often. Gomez's vocals are what lift this song from average to good. This is probably the first time I've really loved her vocal performance. She's not trying to show off, nor is she playing it too safe. Instead, she's being confident in her talents while not being overtly showy about it or anything like that. Her voice is soothing and brings the emotions of the songs home, making it worth multiple listens.

6. "Youngblood"- 5 Seconds of Summer


This is yet another artist that I never thought would see the light of day on any of my charts. This band has often been referred to as a boy band, and I suppose there are parts of them that fit that convention. They are all young guys that are very popular with a teenage female audience. However, unlike some boy bands, not all of them sing, and all of them are actually able to play different instruments. They also frequently tribute classic rock and punk/rock in their songs, which is definitely not typical of the boy band genre. I've never been the biggest fan of the way they use these styles though, as it always sounds so sanitized and fake. This song, though, is actually quite excellent. I've had it on repeat throughout the year. The intensity this track has feels legitimate. Lead vocalist Luke Hemmings even lets his voice have some raw nuances to it. I really like his singing style throughout this song, as he lets his voice reach some intense highs that the band hasn't attempted to do before. The chorus of this song is probably one of the best choruses of any hit song this year. I think part of that is due to the usage of gang vocals. Gang vocals can be a tough thing to do, but thankfully this band does them without making it sound cheesy or forced. All of them joining together gives this song an effective ability to work live; I can totally see audience members chanting along to it. I also think the usage of actual bass and guitar is awesome, giving this song a rocking sensibility. There's also some electronic flourishes that will help this track appeal to pop audiences. This song has a wide reach, which is why I think it did so well, and it deserved its success. Definitely check it out!

5. "Finesse"- Bruno Mars ft. Cardi B


Even though I've never been a big fan of whole Bruno Mars albums, it seems that he is incredibly good at making singles. Songs like "Uptown Funk" and "24K Magic" have always been songs I've enjoyed from the first time I heard them. This adds yet another Mars single that I can have a great time with. I love how this song tributes the 90s. You can see it in both the music video (which is just pure 90s nostalgia all over the place) and the musical style. The way that the electronics and booming drums are used just screams this time period. As always, Bruno is incredibly confident on the mic. I actually sort of like the arrogant persona he takes on in many of his albums, as he just owns it. I think he does this personality better than the sort of sweet guy persona on songs like "Grenade" and "Just the Way You Are". I also think Mars just enjoys his arrogant persona, as so many more of his songs embody it. This song is a perfect showcase for his voice, as he gets to hit some really great high notes here. I even think Cardi B works well in this song. I usually can't stand her rapping style, mainly because it reminds me too much of Nicki Minaj. I'll give Cardi more credit than Minaj though: when Cardi raps well, she can have a great flow. Her and Mars have some top notch chemistry, working off of each other in fun ways. You'd be hard pressed to not nod your head along to this track, or at least get the urge to break dance.

4. "All The Stars"- Kendrick Lamar ft. SZA


I don't have a whole lot to say about this track, but I still really love it. Kendrick Lamar was tasked to create songs for the incredibly successful Marvel movie "Black Panther". I generally liked most tracks off the album, but "All The Stars" was clearly the best. Lamar, as always, is excellent against this track. I like how he leans into the more accessible parts of his rapping style here. Lamar is the type that can shift between making songs that are a little off the deep end in terms to what the radio will play, and then he can go and make a song that embraces mainstream tendencies while still remaining pretty original. SZA may actually be the highlight of this track, though. Like I mentioned last year in her collaboration with Maroon 5, I think SZA is a vocalist that deserves to be watched. I'm glad she's getting wider acclaim, though it's still not nearly enough for her talents. Her natural confidence oozes throughout this entire track. She has such a charisma to her, and this song shows her personality very well. Musically, this song combines hip-hop with pop and it makes for one of the most fun songs of its genre in years.

3. "Shallow"- Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga


I didn't get to talk about "A Star is Born" in terms of movies I reviewed this year, but I did go and see it. I thought it was excellent. Bradley Cooper, of course, did a great job in it and really got to embrace some vulnerable parts of his acting skills. It was Lady Gaga who shocked me. I really thought she didn't stand a chance on the big screen with how weak she was as an actor in Season 5 of "American Horror Story". But her role here as an unsure singer who finds love was perfect for her. Gaga owns her role in this film. There were a lot of original songs in this film, and those moments were where both Cooper and Gaga shown the most. "Shallow" is a superb showcase for both of their vocal talents. Cooper gets to embrace his inner country/rock persona in this song, and it really works. I love his gravelly, bass tone. It has a visceral sense of power and emotion to it. And Gaga... wow does she knock it out of the park. When I first heard this song in the theaters and her part came up, my jaw dropped. She really gets to show the full range of her voice here. You can feel the powerful emotions welling up in her as she sings out this track. The lyrics of this song are some of the best of any hit song this year: "I'm off the deep end, watch as I dive in/I'll never meet the ground/Crash through the surface where they can't hurt us/We're far from the shallow now". This song is all about embracing risk-taking in terms of your loved one, and being there for them, even when the waters are too deep. I love that message, and it does reflect the tragic but touching love story of the two characters in this film. The movie is incredible, and this song is as well.

2. "No Tears Left To Cry"- Ariana Grande


I'm sure that Ariana Grande didn't realize how much she'd need to make this song her battle cry this year. It was both Grande's best and worst year. She's experienced more artistic success than ever this year, having her first ever single hit number 1 on the Hot 100. Her new album "Sweetener" experienced both critical and audience success. But in this same year, she experienced a lot of hardship. She had to try to let go and not blame herself for the Manchester Bombing, she get unfairly blamed for her ex-boyfriend Mac Miller's overdose, and she got engaged and quickly divorced from Pete Davidson. This song came out after the Manchester Bombing, but before all the other hardships Grande experienced. This song is all about Grande trying to move on from negativity and instead focusing on the good parts of her life. This doesn't mean dismissing the negativity or living in blissful ignorance. The lyrics have Grande discussing simply how she wants to pick herself up and try her best to live. As a vocalist, Ariana sounds as effortlessly talented as ever, proving to be one of the best female vocalists in the modern age. She marries modern pop sensibilities with 90s R&B to make a song that ultimately feels timeless. I can see myself coming back to this song years from now and it still holding up. The fact that the song is so much fun to listen to on musical, vocal, and lyrical levels only makes it work that much more.

1. "This Is America"- Childish Gambino


I feel like it's almost too obvious that this song gets the top spot. But come on, it deserves it. Donald Glover aka Childish Gambino crafted a song that creates a harrowing but dishearteningly accurate depiction of American culture for oppressed minorities. His anger and discontent with the way America is for minorities feels justified and powerful. I think almost everyone can agree with at least a part of what he is saying in this track. The political commentary is not divisive or promoting hate, but rather it's Glover making talking about things that just need to be talked about. It helps that the lyricism is excellently crafted: "This is America/Don't catch you slippin' now/Look how I'm livin' now/Police be trippin' now/Yeah, this is America/Guns in my area". This song is a bit of a genre bending track as well. It starts out with a bit of a gospel influence before going into a big trap banger. There's even some acoustic guitar thrown in parts of the song. There's also a shift to a trap style before going into the catchy R&B influenced chorus. This genre bending seems to be a fitting tribute to black culture and fits in with the thematic arcs the song promotes. I especially love the end of the song, where sound wise it turns very dissonant and sounds like something straight out of a horror movie. You've probably already heard this song because of how iconic and important it became in this year. I've seen so many people of different political, religious, and social ideals come together for this song. That's how much power a song can have. I'm glad that the Hot 100 was able to bring that unity into more fruition, if only for a moment.

So, there it is, my top 10 for the year! Keep a lookout for more reviews coming soon, as well as some more countdowns! What were your favorite hit songs of the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment