Sunday, December 23, 2018

Harry Potter Movies Ranked


By: James Southworth

Merry Christmas, everyone! For the holidays, I wanted to do something a little different. Last year, I talked about some of my favorite Christmas movies and songs. This year, I wanted to talk about some movies that I've never gotten a chance to discuss: the Harry Potter franchise. Overall, it is one of the better series at doing creative but still faithful book to movie adaptations. It is not without its flaws (in fact, I don't think any movie in the franchise is perfect), but I still love these movies for bringing my favorite book series to life. Plus, the holidays are a perfect time to watch these movies, so I figured this would be just the right time to talk about them. Here's my ranking of all the Harry Potter movies.
 
8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2


This along with "The Crimes of Grindelwald" mark the only two Harry Potter films where I dislike more of them than I like. I remember coming out the movie the first time in a bit of denial of what I had seen. I think I was trying to convince myself that this was the best possible conclusion we could've gotten to the series. But it's really not. This is the only film where I feel like they did a real disservice to the book it was based on. The movie tones down the really dark feel the finale of the book had, which makes the victory feel underwhelming. Heck, no one in the movie even seems that excited when Harry does vanquish Voldemort. Instead, most people are just nodding their heads nonchalantly to him. In the book, the battle between the two had so much more weight. The death of so many key characters affected everyone, so there was an intense atmosphere. Everyone was watching the battle. In the movie, no one is watching; it's just Harry and Voldemort. The battle doesn't even go like it's supposed to. The movie also feels way too quick. It's the shortest in the franchise when it should've been the longest. They don't address one of the most key components of the series: the revelation that Dumbledore may not have been as good as everyone thought. I also felt the acting wasn't as good as it could've been. Daniel Radcliffe was great, but it felt like both Rupert Grint and Emma Watson felt like they weren't contributing much to the film at all. The part where Harry breaks the Elder Wand made my blood boil, as the book clearly shows why that wouldn't be the right thing to do. The very ending is made laughably bad as all our main characters have phony looking make-up on in an awkward attempt to make them look older. It's actually sort of sad. The last images we have of this series looks like an amateur did it. The other films are all at least good, and most of them are great. It's sad that the series ended out on a bad note, and I just have to wonder what went wrong.

7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince


I used to not be a big fan of this movie. And don't get me wrong, I still have my problems with it. That's why this one still ranks low, as it has some of the biggest issues of any of the better HP movies. But when this movie works, it really works. The times when the film really shines are when it focuses on the relationship between Dumbledore and Harry. I had not been entirely convinced up to this point that Michael Gambon was the right person to play Dumbledore. He seemed a little too harsh, whereas Dumbledore is overall a very kind character in the books and only shows his menacing side when he needs to. Gambon in this film is the perfect embodiment of Dumbledore. I loved every second with him in it. The way him and Radcliffe work off each other is stellar. I also felt that Harry's relationships with Ron and Hermione were at their best here. I appreciate that this film balanced their friendships, whereas the other movies seemed to more explore Harry's friendship with Hermione (as opposed to the book where Harry and Ron's friendship is most heavily explored). The ending of the movie is excellent as well, really doing a good job at setting up all of what the seventh movie would contain. There is a dark tone that pervades this film, sometimes to the point where it's overbearing. But the ending of the movie shows that there can be a light at the end of the tunnel, which is exactly what the HP movies want audiences to believe. There are some issues to this film, though, and they aren't entirely the film's fault. I always felt that the sixth HP book made the romance between Harry and Ginny very forced. If anything, it felt to me like Harry and Hermione had more chemistry, and that was what I thought the books were always going to build up to. The movie actually does a slightly better job than the book at giving the two characters some moments together, but it still feels awkward. This might partly be due to Bonnie Wright as Ginny being the overall weakest link as far as the younger actors go. This movie also tries to be a romantic comedy every once in a while. I don't know why they're trying to do this, as it doesn't at all mesh well with the very dark places this film goes to. I just wish the bits that were trying to be funny were taken out, because they can sometimes be cringe inducing. Thankfully, there's still a lot of good in the film to enjoy.

6. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets


I didn't like putting this film so low, but it does still pale in comparison to many of the other HP films. It's not particularly awful, but it also doesn't stand out quite as much as some of the other films do. I do like how the film basically turns into a murder mystery, where Harry, Ron, and Hermione have to come together to solve something that seems unsolvable to everyone else. There's some really great moments in this movie between the characters here. The most identifiable highlight of the film is Kenneth Branagh's performance as Gilderoy Lockhart. He is absolutely hysterical in this film. He plays the character exactly as I pictured him to be in the books. I couldn't see anyone else playing this character. In fact, that is the advantage of these Harry Potter films. They take on these great British actors to play the professors, so all the professors are instantly memorable. Maggie Smith is as great as ever as McGonnagall, Richard Harris gives an excellent (and tragically final) turn as Albus Dumbledore, and of course it seemed as if Alan Rickman was practically meant to play the role of Professor Snape. There are some great visual moments in this movie as well, from the gorgeous look of Hogwarts to the eye popping look of the Basilisk which still holds up today.

5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire


The Goblet of Fire probably had the hardest task of all the movies: much like the book, it had to transition its readers from the more lighthearted and innocent tone of the first three books to a much darker atmosphere with the inevitable return of Voldemort. Thankfully, this movie does it very well. Out of all the HP films, this is the one I hear most often cited as the top favorite by other people, even those not familiar with the series. I can see why; it probably has the most commercial appeal. It's the most action-packed, filled with lots of fun visuals. Harry's challenge against a dragon is one of the most instantly iconic moments in the films. The way it's presented is breathtaking and heart-pounding. The events that occur at the Yule Ball are alternately hilarious and purposefully awkward. I love every second of it. Getting to see Harry and Ron's reactions to having to dance is hilarious. Emma Watson really showed herself to be the strongest link of the three main characters in this film as well. This was the movie when I really started to appreciate her performance. She doesn't ever force her character's traits, and instead seems to perfectly embody who Hermione is. The ending of this movie is bone-chillingly dark. Director Mike Newell knew just the right way to instill a sense of dread into the viewer. Seeing Voldemort's return still sends chills up my spine because of just how evil and wrong it feels. Other highlights include the effectively subdued performance of Robert Pattinson as Cedric and Brendan Gleeson's very memorable turn as Mad-Eye Moody.

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1


For the longest time, I would've called this film my favorite of the Harry Potter series. I don't quite stand by that now, but I would still contest it has some of the best moments of any Harry Potter movie. I love this movie for just how much it embraces the book's very dark and more grounded tone. Sure, there is some magic in the beginning half of the book. But in reality, it's not that much. Instead, like the book, the movie more focuses on the strained relationships between Harry, Ron, and Hermione. It's sort of a back-to-the-basics, and I love that. The viewers have seen these three's friendship come full circle, and it can be hard to watch them have an almost falling out. But when they do come back together, it's a very nice feeling. When the magic does happen in the film, it doesn't feel out of place. It brims with a new sense of intensity. Spells feel like they have a real weight into this film; every character casts magic like they mean it. You can feel the sense of survival every single character is striving for in this new time where Voldemort has all the power. The performances of the main actors are at their strongest here. It really feels like Radcliffe, Grint, and Watson all knew exactly how to play off each other. They made the right character beats at the right times. David Yates is the director that I feel overall gave Harry Potter the tone it needed for its ending half. You can see that better than ever here.

3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


My appreciation for the first HP film has increased the more I've seen it and the more I've thought about it. Out of all the movies, it's the one that most closely follows its source material. A lot of character lines are straight out of the book, and the movie honestly doesn't take that much material out. It is one of those model examples of how to purely adapt a book into a film. The sense of wonder and awe this movie has about the magical world is exactly what the early Harry Potter films needed. The books enraptured so many reader's hearts with the wonderment and mystery of the magical world. We all wanted to go to Hogwarts. We all wanted to be friends with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. We all wanted to take Defense Against the Dark Arts and Transfiguration. The movie gives readers that same sense of awe that the books provided us. Hogwarts is incredible to look at. The movie gives us all the right visuals and atmosphere to give you this sense that you're in an incredible realm that you don't want to leave. This movie also makes it so easy to like Harry. You feel for Harry's struggles with living with people who don't love him, and you cheer him on as he finally discovers who he really is. The way the movie introduces every character here is pretty much pitch perfect. If there were any problem I had with the film, I guess it would be that there are points where it feels like it's just filling time. It's not like I'm complaining that I get to spend more time with all these great characters, but it still does sometimes feel like parts could be cut. Still, HP1 is excellent, and I get a wave of nostalgia and excitement every time I revisit it. I couldn't have asked for a better first HP movie.

2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban


If you want a Harry Potter movie that brims with atmosphere in every shot, then you've come to the right place with "The Prisoner of Azkaban". I was somewhat tempted to put this as my number 1, as it is very close in competition with what is actually my top spot. Alfonso Cuaron directed this movie, and man I think it would've been cool to see him direct the rest of the films. He knew exactly what to keep from the book and what details to keep out. Because of that, there's hardly a moment of this film that feels inessential. Every single thing in this movie is important because it directly affects Harry. There are so many things to appreciate about this movie. The feeling of doom is ever present. The way that Cuaron presents the Dementors makes them some of the most memorably frightening entities in the film, only barely beaten out by Voldemort. You can feel their power in their ability to make anyone, even the strongest of wizards, feel hopeless and inadequate. They do cleverly play into Harry's own feelings that he's just not good enough, no matter what he does. We also get to of the best casting choices in any of the HP movies: David Thewlis as Lupin and Gary Oldman as Sirius. I love how both of these actors portray their characters, giving them so much life and personality. I also think this movie did a great job with the Time-Turner scene, which I imagine can't have been easy to pull off. It doesn't feel illogical or stupid because it only happens for a little while, and it's very engaging. The only real issue I have with this film is that I didn't like how Michael Gambon played Dumbledore. Like I mentioned earlier, I always felt he played him too harsh in comparison to Richard Harris's pitch perfect interpretation. Still, there is PLENTY to enjoy about this excellent film.

1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix


I'll admit, I think I have the most nostalgic bias to this film. It was the first PG-13 film I got to see in theaters, and I got to see it as a surprise birthday present from my parents. I remember how I sat in the theater incredibly excited as I watched the film, and loving every second of it. I think I still love it now for different reasons. Out of all the HP books, I think "Order of the Phoenix" is my least favorite because it reveals some of J.K. Rowling's flaws as a writer (which would unfortunately show up in her screenwriting for "Crimes of Grindelwald"). The book is almost 900 pages, and it doesn't need to be. It has way too many unnecessary subplots, and too often Harry is acting like an annoyingly angsty teenager. The movie is the second shortest of the films, but unlike HP7: Part 2, this movie doesn't feel like it moves along too quickly. It takes out all the fluff that the novel had, and keeps all the essentials. This means we can focus on the things that really worked about the book: the formation of Dumbledore's army, Harry's touching relationship with Sirius, the despicable things that Umbridge does, and the final epic battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort in the Ministry of Magic. All of these elements work, especially Harry and Sirius's relationship. I notice that a common theme in what I love about the HP movies are the simple things. The magical parts are great, but I just love the way that all the characters interact more than anything else. Gary Oldman is stellar in this film, making Sirius Black perhaps the most likeable character in any of the movies aside from Dumbledore. And then on the other hand you've got Umbridge. Many people agree that Umbridge is more hate-worthy than Voldemort, and I can see where they're coming from. At least Voldemort lets his hate for others be known, whereas Umbridge tries to disguise it under layers of political niceties (clear but effective political commentary from Rowling). Imelda Staunton plays Umbridge almost too well. Alan Rickman is another significant highlight in this film, being alternately hilariously cruel and incredibly sympathetic. I even found the relationship between Harry and Cho Chang to be effective (whereas for the most part the romantic elements of Harry Potter feel forced in both the books and films). The final battle Dumbledore and Voldemort is my favorite moment in any HP. There isn't another fight that comes remotely close to how visually stunning and white knuckled intense this one is. You feel the immense power of both characters. Plus, this was the first moment where I actually started to warm up to Michael Gambon's turn as Dumbledore- he actually felt like the character rather than a pale imitation. The main three characters are also at their best here, with Daniel Radcliffe having some weighty material to deal with. He nails it. Rupert Grint is also particularly strong in this film.

Well there it is- my ranking of every Harry Potter movie! What are your rankings? I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment