Monday, January 29, 2018

Waterparks "Entertainment" Album Review


By: James Southworth
Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Two years ago, I discovered the pop/rock band Waterparks. Let me just say, I am so glad I found them. Pop/rock is one of the hardest genres to really do right in my opinion, as you have to try to satisfy two very demanding audience groups. I think this band did it just right with their debut album "Double Dare". This release had enough of a punch to appeal to rock fans while also having enough catchiness and accessibility to appeal to the pop crowd. The album was a perfect mix, and lead singer Awsten Knight's vocals are easy to get attached to. This band has gotten quite a fanbase over the past few years. I can easily see them becoming the next twenty one pilots or Fall Out Boy with the type of fans they have. The band's sophomore album "Entertainment" proves that Waterparks isn't afraid to experiment with their sound. While I feel that this album is a little too poppy or generic at times, this is still a very fun, solid release.

The band couldn't have chosen a better lead single than "Blonde". This song is classic Waterparks, and probably the one that sounds closest to their debut. It has a satisfying combination of electronic effects and punchy guitar riffs. It's so easy to nod along to, and the chorus is one of the most catchy choruses I've heard in quite a long time. You can tell that the whole band are really connected on this song and are in their element. The upbeat nature of the song can easily make you ignore the lyrics. If you really pay attention to them, you can see Knight painting a picture of how hard his life has been lately since he and the band have been constantly touring. I also appreciate how the track has clever allusions to lyrical moments from their first album, a recurring trend on this release as a whole. "Not Warriors" feels like a powerpop track that could've come right out of the 80s, and that's not a bad thing at all. I like how powerful and almost epic the chorus is, and the recurring electronics used in the chorus make this another track that's very easy to latch on to. I've been surprised at the somewhat negative reception to the acoustic cut "Lucky People", as I personally find this a very charming ballad. I think Awsten's voice works incredibly well with the nicely done acoustic guitar. Just everything about this song oozes a genuine sincerity, especially in the lyrics where Knight expresses a real love for this girl: "My hourglass is in your hands/You've got my time, you are my plans/Let's keep each other safe from the world". Sure, the song is a little cheesy, but even Knight acknowledges that in the song, and I still think the song works very well.

In my opinion, the second half of this album is easily the stronger portion. "Rare" is my favorite track on this album, and may even grow to be my favorite Waterparks song in general. I mean, wow, this song is SO catchy in all the right ways. This track has some parts reminiscent of their debut album, but also manipulates the formula enough for it to stand strong on its own. The guitar riff going throughout this song is very memorable. The lyrics are also interesting and have Knight's trademark interesting writing style. And I will never get over just how well the chorus works and gets completely ingrained in your head. "Tantrum" is a delightful listen as easily the most intense song the band has ever done. The powerful drumming and guitar work in this song puts it almost into the hard rock realm. Knight really just lets his vocals go, even screaming in the bridge as he vents about all sorts of things. I got a smile on my face when he actually went so far as to call out the fans who have used his friends just to get to him. This song is a diss track through and through, and while it's not the best written track, the anger is still sincere. The superb musicality more than makes up for any flaws in writing. "Crybaby" is an interesting but fitting followup. If "Tantrum" was expressing pure anger, then "Crybaby" is expressing pure sadness. The dark pop vibe this song has is very intriguing and unique. I'm not usually a big fan of vocal distortions, but I think that they work well in the context of this song. This one has continued to appeal to me more and more, and it's oddness stands out for good reasons. The album ends off well with "Sleep Alone", the only other track on this album besides "Blonde" that fits Waterparks's sound from their debut. I really like this one, as it concludes the album on a fun and upbeat note with yet another memorable chorus.

For all the good content in this album, the negatives can't be ignored. I haven't really enjoyed the beginning track "11:11" from the first time I heard it. I dislike it the more I listen to it. This song has some decent verses, but the chorus is extremely overdone, especially the use of "oh"s, which is an annoying pop cliche. I really wish this album had a more positive beginning track, because this one didn't start the release on the best of terms. "Peach (Lobotomy)" is probably my least favorite Waterparks track to date. This one just annoys me so much, as it uses so many pop cliches that I loathe: the usage of whistling as a hook, the incorporation of meaningless noises to force the song to be catchy ("bum-bum", "la-la-la"), and a chorus that repeats the title of the track more than anything else. I really don't see myself coming back to this one anytime soon. "We Need To Talk" is a bit of a dumb song as well, confusingly twisting around a lyric to a Justin Bieber song as its main appeal: "Your mama likes me and she doesn't like anyone". In general, I think this release's recurring theme of being lucky vs. not isn't the most interesting of themes to discuss. I also think this album would've benefited from a few more tracks, because it is way too short. 

I am all for bands experimenting and taking risks. For Waterparks, it was probably the most logical choice for them to go for a more pop sound. Awsten himself has said many times that he enjoys doing pop. Thankfully, when this band did the pop genre on this release, they did it mostly right. I still definitely prefer their more rocking tracks, and would love to see an album where they do more intense stuff like "Tantrum". Still, "Entertainment" lives up to its name and is a very entertaining, though not perfect, release. I recommend checking this one out, and then going back to their debut album if you haven't heard it yet!

Favorite Tracks: "Rare", "Blonde", "Tantrum", "Crybaby", "Lucky People", "Not Warriors"
Least Favorite Tracks: "Peach (Lobotomy)", "11:11", "We Need To Talk"

No comments:

Post a Comment