Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Short Reviews #6

By: James Southworth
 
My year end favorite movie and TV shows list is coming soon (hopefully the end of this week). Before I made that list, there are several movies that I wanted to see. Somehow, I got time to see them. So, here are brief reviews for all of them!

Lady Bird
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars


When I saw all the critical acclaim going around for Greta Gerwig's directorial debut, I knew I had to see it. This movie beat out "Toy Story 2" for the highest 100% that any movie has received. It has moved to 99% since then, but it nevertheless is certainly the most critically acclaimed movie of this year. This film did not disappoint; A24 proves yet again that they are one of the best movie companies out there, and I have the feeling that they're just getting started. This film could've easily been cliched as it is a coming of age story. Protagonist Christine aka "Lady Bird" has a fraught relationship with her mother and is also struggling to figure out who she wants to be. That very simplistic narrative framing actually remains the main story throughout the whole movie. Everything about this idea makes it sound like this movie couldn't work. But, it does, and that is due to Gerwig's incredible writing and the dynamic performances throughout. This film doesn't feel like your typical narrative with one main story arc. Instead, it's more like you're just watching Christine go through her life, experiencing different things. But that's what I love about the movie. You feel like all the characters here are so real and are not just movie characters. You can feel they have a history. It helps that Gerwig gives every character heartwrenching moments as well as redemptive ones. All the performances in the film are fantastic. Saoirse Ronan is outstanding as the titular character, really giving her so much depth. We see every part of this character. She's human, so we can easily love her at one moment while feeling frustrated with her at another. Ultimately I was so invested in her and wanted to watch where she went next. Laurie Metcalf gives my favorite performance as Christine's mother Marion. Laurie gave Marion such a touching arc, really just making her entirely believable. I understood why she couldn't always open herself up to Christine, and why she got so angry with her so often. Marion's arc is so powerful by the end; I was nearly in tears. Lucas Hedges as Danny has one of the most heartfelt scenes of the film, and gave his supporting role plenty of depth. I also loved Tracy Letts as Christine's dad Larry. His scenes with Christine were some of my favorites in the film. I suppose if I had any issue with this film, it would be that some of the story beats are passed over a little too quickly, and deserved a little more depth. But, that's not even that big of a problem. This movie is nearly flawless, and will most certainly get a spot in my top 10 films of the year. Go see it.

Wind River
Rating: 4/5 Stars


When I saw the trailer for this film, I was definitely interested in it. This movie takes place on a Native American Reserve where an Indian woman is murdered. Hunter Cory Lambert decides to help FBI agent Jane Banner in this case, as the father of this woman is one of his best friends. He also wants to get redemption for his own daughter's tragic passing. This film is incredibly intense. There's hardly a moment where it lets up once it really gets going. Violent scenes often come out of nowhere. The raw and real feeling way in which they are executed often left me white knuckled. At no point in this film is the violence fun, and it's not supposed to be. The scene in which it is revealed how exactly the Indian woman is murdered is effectively bone chilling and frightening. I don't know if any other scene has left me with such a feeling of anger at injustice as that scene did. This film has commentary about how Native Americans are treated in America, and I think it's done excellently. Instead of hammering in its message, it does it in a compelling way, showing things rather than simply telling us. So many films seem to forget just how to do that, but this one definitely doesn't. This film is also visually impressive, with many beautiful shots of snowy landscapes. Performances in the movie are all around great. Jeremy Renner gives quite possibly his best performance to date as the hunter Cory. I liked how he gave this character a certain sense of mystery, making him vulnerable and intimidating at the right moments. Elizabeth Olsen really delivers as Jane Banner, giving the best performance of the film. Her character's transformation is well-executed, and I love how she shows Jane's hatred for the injustice against Native Americans. Graham Greene gives a subdued, and sometimes funny performance as Ben, making him a powerful supporting character. The main issue I have with this movie is that there are points in the middle of it where it slows down a bit too much. It takes a while to get back to the main story. I also felt that the movie could've revealed even more about Cory, because I wanted to know more. Still, this is a great movie with commentary that is relevant for today. It is definitely recommended.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars



This is another film here which has gotten a lot of critical acclaim. I believe it is currently in third place for most award winning movie in 2017. Main character Mildred challenges the police of her town for not solving the murder of her daughter by putting up several billboards, which say things like "Still no arrests?" It becomes the talk of the town, and Mildred becomes a very controversial figure. I love this movie; it's another one that definitely deserves a place in my top 10. This movie has at its center a commentary about the human heart, and how easy it is for us to harbor hate and bitterness, but we should overcome it and try to care for those important to us. Mildred stands at the center of this theme, as she is full of bitterness. The viewer sees that she is justified in being so angry, but the way she goes about expressing her anger can be wrong. We aren't meant to entirely agree with our protagonist, and I liked that aspect of the movie. Mildred is a great character, which is helped by the searingly powerful performance given by Frances McDormand. She makes this character feel absolutely real. I loved how she passionately embodies this character in every moment, delivering some great punchlines with a delightful venom. Yes, believe it or not, there's actually quite a bit of black, black comedy in this film. It works every time; I definitely laughed a lot. The humor helps lift what can be a movie that goes to dark places. Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell also give impassioned performances as Sheriff Willoughby and Dixon. Harrelson gives some unexpected compassion and weight to his character, and Dixon has a powerful character arc. Dixon could've so easily been just a typical redneck cop, but instead director Martin McDonagh makes him so much more than a stereotype. It's hard to say if there's any real flaws in this movie. I guess that there were some points where the movie was focusing on one plot point for too long, or there were some conversations that meandered. The film is nearly flawless though. The more I think about it, the more I love it.

The Disaster Artist
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars


If you haven't noticed yet, pretty much every movie I'm reviewing here I really like. The same goes for this one. This film was not at all what I expected it to be based on trailers. I have seen "The Room", and yes, it is very bad but in the most delightful way. I was honestly expecting this movie to make fun of it as well as Tommy Wiseau. Instead, what it more often offers us is a touching story between two friends who want to make a dream come to life. There are very funny moments in this movie for sure; in fact its comedic moments are among the best parts. But the dramatic moments in this film work naturally, and are touching. James Franco gives a bravura performance as Tommy, one of my favorite performances of his by far. I thought that I might get distracted by him wearing the black wig, but instead I quickly forget that Franco was even there. All I saw was Tommy, as Franco uncannily portrays a lot of Tommy's mannerisms. I like how he never makes Tommy a punchline. We are always laughing with Tommy rather than at him. I was legitimately rooting for him in his endeavors to make this movie. My favorite performance actually comes from Dave Franco as Greg. He serves as the main character of the film, which makes sense because he's not the enigmatic mystery that Tommy is. I thought Franco made Greg very charming and likeable. I liked getting to discover this person's own story about the dream that they had. The audience loves it when Greg succeeds, and we understand him when he starts having conflict with Tommy. Seth Rogen was a surprising highlight as Sandy. I've never been the biggest fan of Rogen, but he's great here. I also enjoyed Zac Efron's hilarious portrayal of Dan, as well as Alison Brie as Greg's girlfriend Amber. Much like most of the other movies on this list, it's hard to identify many problems with this film, as I was having so much fun watching it. I think its ending may go on a little too long. I also feel that the movie could've gone a little more quickly into the shooting of "The Room", rather than giving us so much backstory. But those are honestly more nitpicks than anything. This is one of the most fun films I watched all of 2017, just because of how much it surprised me at every turn.

The Greatest Showman
Rating: 4/5 Stars


I was a little unsure going into this movie how much I would like it based on the critic vs. audience discrepancy. Audiences were clearly loving this movie, and several of my friends were praising it. But the critics were considerably more negative towards it. I tend to agree more with critics (as a critic myself), but this time I found myself leaving the movie theatre with a smile on my face. Sure, this movie is by no means perfect, but this one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had at the theatre in a while. What easily shines the brightest about this film and really makes it work is its combination of music, wonderful visuals, great choreography, and great performances from a talented cast. The music in this film was written by the lyricists of "La La Land", and it shows. The songs here range from fun to very touching in their themes. My favorite would have to be "Rewrite the Stars", a duet between Zac Efron and Zendaya. This song sounds beautiful, and is actually a very well-written love song. Efron and Zendaya have clear vocal chemistry. I also loved "This Is Me" and "A Million Dreams". There's no doubt I'm buying the soundtrack. The visuals of this movie are excellent as well. Director Michael Gracey has a clear knack for how to make a good-looking period piece, as you can feel the location the film takes place in. Most every shot pops off the screen. The choreography in the movie is amazing to look at, as all of it is done very naturally and effortlessly. Grounding this film are all the great performances from a dynamic cast. Hugh Jackman is the clear highlight as P.T. Barnum. His charisma seeps off the screen in every minute. I like how he shows Barnum's earnest desire to follow his dream. His failures are not idealized, making it more inspiring to watch him get back up again. Zac Efron and Zendaya as Philip and Anne offer one of the most powerful side stories of the movie. I felt both of them gave compelling weight to their characters, and had the audience really caring about their relationship. Other highlights include Keala Settle as Lettie Lutz (who has an INCREDIBLE singing voice, by the way) and Michelle Williams as Barnum's wife Charity. I'll admit, this film's flimsy story-telling is noticeable at times. I think the first half of this movie is really strong as it focuses primarily on Barnum's story. The second half introduces Philip, Anne, Jenny, and a critic as other major roles. The movie tries to tell all of their stories, but it can come across as a little messy at times. Also, Barnum's problems may be solved a little too quickly. However, when I watch a musical, I'm not always expecting an entirely consistent story. The many stories we are offered here are all still good. They all work together to hone in an inspiring theme about following your heart. I totally understand why audiences love this film. It has a sort of genuineness to it that reminds of classic films, and it is very fun. This movie makes the fun pay off by having moments full of emotional weight and power. This is a great movie, definitely go see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment