Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Halloween Playlist 2019!


By: James Southworth

If you didn't know by now, my favorite holiday is Halloween. I just love everything to do with it: the atmosphere of the fall weather, the limitless potential from horror movies, the house decorations, and of course, the music. There's lots of songs out there that just scream Halloween to you when you listen to them, sometimes intentionally and other times not so much. Last year, I detailed a couple different full albums you should listen to for this season. This year, I'm giving you 10 different songs to add to your October Playlist. With Halloween on the way soon, hopefully these cuts can get you in the spirit!

1. "Main Titles (Trick 'r Treat)"- Douglas Pipes


In my recurring series "5 Horror Movies You Need To See"- another one is on the way next week- one of the movies I mentioned for the 2018 edition was "Trick 'r Treat". The film has honestly become one of my favorite horror films, and it's pitch perfect for Halloween. I'll probably be watching it again this year. The music behind the film is just great for this time of year, especially the title sequence. The urgent string arrangement feels like it would fit just great behind almost any horror movie, and it embodies the spirit of "Trick 'r Treat" perfectly. It has almost an action comic book feel to it in some parts (which is purposeful given the comic book styling of the intro sequence), while at other times the creepy tension keeps ratcheting up. How could I not enjoy listening to this?

2. "Halloween Theme"- John Carpenter


This might be an obvious pick, but I can't just skip over it either. The titular theme does a great job at encapsulating what Michael Myers is like. It has a frightening, mysterious feel to it, with the menacing piano creeping at a steady pace throughout the film. The backing drumming has an odd, otherworldly feel to it, really helping to add to the identity of this song. This cut proves that John Carpenter is a masterful composer in a variety of ways. This song will definitely help you remember "The Night He Came"! And, maybe even more importantly, it encapsulates the atmosphere of October and the season of scares in a way not too many other songs can. 

3. "Black Rain"- Creeper


The band's name is a pretty accurate representation of what they are as a group. They definitely like the Halloween aesthetics, and in the process, are able to make some really great music. For those who don't know them, Creeper are a punk/rock group with a small but passionate fan base. I really got hooked on them with "Black Rain", and I do think this song is just right for this season. There are several things about the song that make it work. The most primary of those is the theatricality of the track. It feels big in all the right ways, with the guitar riffs and drumming pounding. Lead vocalist Will Gould really lets his voice go over the top, and in a way where it doesn't cross into parody territory. The lyrics have a pretty dark atmosphere to them as well: "And in the rain/I scream your name/So just you shut your pretty mouth/I know I mean nothing to you now". The use of keys in the song seals the deal; definitely check this one out!

4. "Mama"- My Chemical Romance


I'm a little surprised that I didn't include "The Black Parade" in my list of albums for Halloween to check out last year. My Chemical Romance's third album is great for October for a lot of reasons. I could've chosen almost any song, but I went with the truly epic cut "Mama". The band are firing on all cylinders with this cut. Similarly to Creeper, the over the top theatricality pushes this song in a really cool direction. The song has a dark cynicism to it as well. There's just something about it that makes it feel like it would fit right into a horror flick. I'd be willing to bet a lot of my readers have heard this song before, but if you haven't, it's a good one to play for when trick or treaters come by your house on Halloween day. 

5. "The Insidious Plane/Insidious"- Joseph Bishara


Does this one really need an explanation? In my opinion, the "Insidious" theme is just as iconic as the theme from "Halloween" or "Friday The 13th". What Joseph Bishara does so right in this song is building up the tension. Even without watching "Insidious", the way the strings operate in "The Insidious Plane" never fails to send cold chills up my spine. It's almost like there's something stalking you, and it keeps coming closer, and closer... until it's right up on you. That's when the strings really pick up, and everything turns absolutely chaotic. The climactic moment is one of the most memorable parts of any horror score I've ever heard. The title track "Insidious" is a little more subtle, but in some ways might be even more effective. This song works really well in conjunction with the credits of the first film.

6. "Bury A Friend"- Billie Eilish


This is easily one of the most unique pop songs I've heard all year. It doesn't feel quite like any other stuff on the Billboard Hot 100, which is what makes it so refreshing. Billie Eilish knows how to use electronics and other sound effects to make a dark, foreboding song. She does great here at making the song have a legitimate menace to it, while also not taking herself too seriously. Probably my favorite parts of the song is when she uses a lot of different sound effects, with some of them sounding like someone screaming in terror. Others sound like a killer stalking its prey. The way they combine together does feel like something straight out of a horror movie. Eilish's whispering, and sometimes almost alien-like vocals, bring the horror effect home in a compelling way. Check this one out!

7. "Sowing Season"- Brand New


Similarly to My Chemical Romance's "Black Parade", I could put any song from Brand New's "The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me". That album is, in my opinion, one of the seminal releases for fall in general. But "Sowing Season" is the one I chose. Man, does this song just build on emotional atmosphere perfectly. I'm not even sure I could adequately describe in words how well this song works, as it leaves me speechless every single time.

8. "Burn The Witch"- Radiohead


This song is seriously so awesome. I like listening to this track at any time of the year, but fall/Halloween is definitely the feeling it emulates the most. The creepy plucking of the strings and Thom Yorke's beautiful voice draw you in to the song effortlessly. As the song goes on, the creep factor of it builds up more and more, until it eventually reaches a fever pitch. When the climax inevitably arrives, it is a truly powerful moment. This is one of those cases where I would suggest you watch music video for the song, as the two together create something really special. You will also be able to see what movie this song was probably inspired by. This song proves that Radiohead and Halloween really do go together sometimes. 

9. "Spiders"- Slipknot 


This is the newest edition on my list (besides Billie Eilish, which is also from this year), and it's a well-deserved edition. On "We Are Not Your Kind", Slipknot took a lot of bold risks, and "Spiders" is one of their most different-sounding songs to date. I would consider it very criminal if this song wasn't played near haunted houses or at Halloween parties. The song is fun and has a spooky feel to it that can easily put a smile on my face. Corey Taylor really embraces the haunted feel of the song, as he lets his singing voice have some unique cadences to it. This is especially true of the chorus, where he lets his voice get higher than it typically would on a Slipknot track. The emphasis on keys and electronics is not something I would've expected from a heavy metal band, but here we are. And it's only a good thing in this case. I have a feeling I'll be coming back to this one in later October seasons.

10. "This Is Halloween"- The Citizens of Halloween/Danny Elfman


I have mentioned the cover of this song by Marilyn Manson in my 2016 edition of 10 Songs for Halloween. The original version is still a classic Halloween cut in every sense of the word. There's not much I could say about it that's already been said. Danny Elfman encapsulated the spirit of Halloween in one song, and I'm not really sure if there's any cut out there that does it better. This song is a perfect masterpiece, and it should always be listened to when this iconic holiday rolls around.

There you have it. 10 Songs, some newer and some older, for your listening pleasure this Halloween. I hope everyone has a great time on this scary holiday, and that maybe this playlist can make the day even more memorable for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment