Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Lil Pump "Harverd Dropout" Album Review




By: James Southworth
Rating: 1/5 Stars

If you stumbled onto this review, congratulations. I'm not sharing it on any social media site. I'm not even gonna promote it on Google Plus, which is where I get several viewers as well. Why, you may ask? Because Lil Pump is not worth it. If he's gonna put out an album as lazy as this, why should I put any effort in to talk about it in much detail? I mean, I'm gonna rant about it. But none of the songs on this release are worthy of analysis. Lil Pump is the embodiment of the Soundcloud Rap scene. Like so many of these talentless hacks, he's only known for going viral off of a song that's so bad it's meme-worthy ("Gucci Gang"), and then everyone forgets him after that. Except it seemed that with Pump, he wasn't forgotten right away. WHY? He's had several songs chart on the Billboard 100. I mean, I guess it shouldn't surprise me too much. Half of the Billboard Chart is now filled with shallow trap. But if there's one rapper out there who I would say is the most dime a dozen of this awful scene, Lil Pump is it. His newest album "Harverd Dropout" shows the worst cliches of trap rap and multiplies them to a tiresome and infuriating degree.

The only thing that this album has feasibly going for it is the beats and one actually decent song. The production on this album is way better than what it deserves (except for one god-tier levels of awful song; talk about that soon). The producers on this album seemed to work pretty hard on giving Lil Pump some nice bangers to rap behind, especially on songs like "Drop Out", "ESSKEETIT", and "Nuh Uh". There's also one song that I actually sort of like on the album, and that is "Be Like Me". Lil Pump actually seems to be trying to have some sort of lyrical depth in his commentary about how all these new Soundcloud Rappers coming up from the pits of Hell are trying to copy his style. In a sense, he's right, although I don't know why anybody would aspire to be like him. Still, at least it isn't about drugs, sex, or money, like every other song on this album. Lil Wayne is actually what makes this song worth listening to, as he effortlessly outshows Lil Pump and shows exactly why someone like him got recognition in their heyday. Lil Wayne might rap about similar subjects to Pump, but at least he puts some interesting commentary behind his songs when he was at his best. And I don't even like Lil Wayne's music. I'm complimenting Lil Wayne. That's how low we're going here, ladies and gentleman. I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

I'll give the album this: at least it's funny. I mean, it's definitely not funny in the way that Lil Pump might have intended it. Maybe if he was a more self-aware rapper who knew his fame came from being a joke, he could build off of that. But he's not a nearly clever enough rapper or writer for any of that to come across in his songs. Instead Lil Pump only know about three subjects to rap about: drugs, sex and money. He will also occasionally give a weird brag that he dropped out of Harvard so that he could pursue a music career. How he got into a school like that is beyond me, because everything about him is elementary and childish. This is one of the most vulgar rap albums I've listened to in terms of how much it uses cursing. I am not the type that is against dropping curse words in songs, but they should be used in effective ways. After you hear the twentieth f-bomb, it begins to just make you want to roll your eyes. It becomes just noise. I can't even really do this album in my typical review format, because there's almost nothing of substance to truly mention. Songs here range from annoying to truly insufferable. "I Love It" was a horrible song from last year, but at least it manages to make its way onto the album. Kanye West is in his worst form ever; he continues to fall farther and farther from the great emcee he once was. This song actually effectively represents the big problems the rest of the album has: a predictable song structure, Lil Pump sounding bored out of his mind, and way too much repetition. It's really Lil Pump's active and obvious disinterest in his own music that hurts this album. He doesn't have a personality. There's nothing about him that really makes him stand out from the crowd. This is shown over and over again. I laughed out loud at "Vroom Vroom Vroom" a truly awful song that is about as childish as it gets. I'm positive the song isn't meant to be taken seriously, but its song structure is so bad that the song is bad in ways that Pump was probably not intending it to be. The result is priceless though, so at least Pump gave me one song that I can enjoy ironically. "Stripper Name" has a HORRIBLE hook where it sounds like a boy is constantly going through puberty in the background. I've even seen some of Pump's hopelessly devoted fans calling out this musical hook as one of the worst things ever. I'm not even sure if it could be called "music"; it's just a noise that doesn't stop for the whole time. The features on this album besides Lil Wayne do nothing to impress either. They range from simply forgettable (Offset, 2 Chainz) to hard to bare even listening to (Lil Uzi Vert, Smokepurpp). The worst song on the album, and so far my worst song of 2019, goes to the despicable "Drug Addicts". The message this track presents seems especially tone deaf given that a lot of individuals within the rap scene have died in recent years due to crippling drug addictions. But what does Pump do? Oh, you know he romanticizes drug addiction as something that's fun. Do drugs all day every day kids; nothing will ever happen to you! There are plenty of other rappers who romanticize drug use, but this song might be one of the worst examples of it I've ever heard. Musically it's awful as well, and has some of the worst flows I've ever heard on any rap album. Screw this song.

So yeah. There's my small rant on Lil Pump's new album. It's not worth me writing any more, making this probably my shortest full review to date. But hey, it's all that someone like Lil Pump is going to get from me. Thankfully this album is flopping. Don't buy this album, so we can let this talentless hack fade out of the music scene like he truly deserves.

Favorite Songs: "Be Like Me"
Least Favorite Songs: "Drug Addicts", "Stripper Name", "Vroom Vroom Vroom", "I Love It", "Butterfly Doors", "Multi-Millionaire"

No comments:

Post a Comment