Thursday, December 21, 2017

10 GREAT Christmas Songs


By: James Southworth

I think lots of people would look at me as somewhat of a Grinch when it comes to my rules about listening to Christmas music. I absolutely refuse to listen to any Christmas music before December, usually mid-December if I can help it. Like any music, listening to something way too much makes me dislike it or lose interest in it. Don't get me wrong though, as a whole there's a lot of Christmas music I like. In this post I want to share 10 Christmas songs I listen to every year (plus one new song). Some of them will be typical ones, while others are ones that I think most don't listen to. Hope you enjoy my list, and look out for my upcoming list of five of my favorite Christmas movies!

10. "Mistletoe (The Christmas Sweater Song)"- Tenth Avenue North


This song is the most recent out of my list, as it comes off of TAN's Christmas album "Decade the Halls, Vol. 1". I would actually recommend you listen to the whole album, as it has a cool concept of doing Christmas styles in a variety of decade styles, from the 1920s to the 2010s. This song in particular is such a delightful listen. In this song, the band does their best 90s Weezer impression, and they pull it off in a very fun way. You can tell lead vocalist Mike Donehey is having a great time. The whole band puts some real passion into making this song sound like it could've come right out of the 90s, and it does sound like it could fit into that time period. The lyrics are hilarious and sweet as Mike tells a story about waiting for his wife at a Christmas party. I don't want to reveal the lyrics or the story, as it's more something to find out for yourself. After listening to this song, take a listen to the rest of this release, as it is one of the most creative Christmas albums I've heard in years!

9. "Emmanuel"- Michael W. Smith


Michael W. Smith has done so many Christmas songs that I love, but this one still takes the cake. I still remember the moment when I first heard this in 2002 when my family purchased a "Wow Christmas" album. It was actually my first introduction to Smith, and while I've fallen away from him over the years, I still have a nostalgic love for his old music. This song in particular still feels like a prime Christmas song to listen to. It reveals simplistic yet powerful truths about Jesus ("Wonderful counselor/Lord of life,lord of all/He is the Prince of Peace, Mighty God, Holy One"). The song is so upbeat and enjoyable, Smith naturally exudes his charm through his vocals, and as usual his piano playing is masterful. This song is irresistible to me, and will always be a Christmas song I come back to.

8. "His Favorite Christmas Story"- Capital Lights


This is one of the few songs that I've heard repeatedly on Christmas radio that I haven't gotten tired of. In fact, I think I find it all the more reminiscent of the power Christmas can offer each time I listen to it. One of my favorite things about Christmas songs is the way they tell stories, and this song does that in a very powerful way. If you don't know about this song already, it's about a man who falls in love with this woman, but never actually gets married to her, and they get disconnected after a while. If you don't know the payoff to this song then I don't want to spoil it to you, but let me just tell you it's very touching and heartwarming. Unlike a song like, say, "Christmas Shoes", this one does not manipulate you with melodramatic emotion. Instead its simply presented story stands well on its own, and the musicality of the song, which does a good job at being upbeat rock and transitioning to a piano ballad, helps naturally contribute to the emotion. This song screams Christmas in every minute of its run time.

7. "Heat Miser"- Thousand Foot Krutch


I still remember the moment that I discovered that TFK had done a version of their own of "Heat Miser". When I first listened to it, I had a huge smile on my face. This song definitely is TFK in every way. It has an fun, head-nodding guitar riff. The drums sound powerful in the background. And Trevor McNevan is having the time of his life on the vocals, really just singing out these lyrics. He actually makes it sound like he's playing the character of the Heat Miser as he lets out a menacing but fun laugh at the beginning the track, and he plays the character through his voice throughout the whole song. This song isn't particularly deep, but it doesn't need to be. It's just a joyous listen through and through, and offers a unique and unexpected take on a classic Christmas song.

6. "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"- Fit for a King


Normally more intense band Fit for a King take a softer route on this well-known Christmas hymn. This is easily my favorite version of the hymn. Clean vocalist Ryan O'Leary really shows the power of the lyrics, as he doesn't let one word go unnoticed. His natural passion is noticeable throughout, and you can feel his reverence for the message this song has to offer. The beginning parts of this song are already really good, but it's in this song's ending moments that it really becomes something else entirely. There's this really impressive buildup, and then an even better payoff where the guitars come in so strong and O'Leary just unleashes in his singing, making his voice reach some new heights. We even get to see unclean vocalist Ryan Kirby contribute, though the band effectively mixes in his unclean vocals so as to not turn the song into something it's not meant to be. This track actually left me speechless when I first heard it, and I still love it every time I listen to it. I know this is a Christmas track, but it may even be one of my favorite FFAK tracks in general.

5. "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch"- Thurl Ravenscroft


Of course this song has to make my list. I love "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"- the story, the classic TV special, and, yes, even the Jim Carrey movie (more on that later). I still love Ravenscroft's deep bass vocals and just how much of a personality he brings to the song. This song just feels like it's a Christmas song through and through. Dr. Seuss, of course, brings out his trademark charm through the lyrics in which he compares the Grinch to so many interesting things, making for all sorts of still-quotable moments. I love the brass instrumentation that goes throughout this song, giving it a classic, timeless feel. Most everyone knows this song, and it is definitely for a good reason.

4. "Wizards in Winter"- Trans Siberian Orchestra


If you don't have a TSO instrumental as one of your favorite Christmas songs, then I personally think there's something wrong with you. For the past many years, this band has defined what a good Christmas song should be: rocking, fun, and still having a feeling that it belongs perfectly in the winter season. This song is one of my favorites by the band in general, because it has everything about them that I love: talented guitar work, a fun piano, and a general nostalgic Christmas feeling emanating from it. You've probably heard this track before, you may just not realize it. This band is just right for the season.

3. "The Wind"- Demon Hunter


This is an original Christmas song by one of my favorite bands that I feel has gone extremely underrated. It's one of DH's most accessible songs, a solid hard rock track with something about it that still feels like it belongs in Christmas. This is pretty dark for a Christmas track, but it still feels very powerful, especially in Ryan Clark's excellent vocal delivery. I absolutely love the imagery that the lyrics provide, using winter as an interesting metaphor for isolation: "These city lights illuminate your breath/As you tell of all the ways that you feel dead/December left you cold and alone". I told you, this song is dark. But, like with many other DH lyrics, there's a powerful resolution to this track in which Ryan seems to talk through the perspective of God who tells this person that He won't let them go. I also love how this track ends on a beautiful string arrangement. This is a very unique Christmas song, and if you're reading this post, I beg you to stop reading and listen to it right now.

2. "Sleigh Ride"- August Burns Red


Much like with what I said about Tenth Avenue North, I'd strongly advise you to listen to the entirety of ABR's Christmas instrumental album "Sleddin' Hill". Even if you aren't a fan of metal, I think you'd enjoy this release as a whole. It's entirely instrumental and it's a very fun ride. Almost any track from the album could make this list, but I personally find this one to be the most unique and interesting. This song will have you singing it in your head (or out loud), as it does a good job of bringing the catchiness of the original through the excellent guitar work. This song feels like a metal song throughout a lot of its run time, with some creative blast beats interspersed, and some very talented drum work as well. But, the song is actually very creative in that it changes genres a few times throughout. A piano appears very suddenly, and the song suddenly turns jazz. Then, it becomes an interesting ragtime like track, before shifting into a epic rock ending. It doesn't sound like these genre shifts should work, but ABR are such talented instrumentalists that all the shifts go naturally into one another. It makes for a song that I still can't get enough of.

1. "Christmas Eve Sarjevo"- Trans Siberian Orchestra


I had to put at least two TSO songs on this list. For a while now, this song has easily been my favorite Christmas song of all time. I still remember when I first saw the beautifully done music video to this track (you need to watch the music video when listening to the song, it really fits with the song perfectly). I think when people think TSO, most will think of this song, and they have every right to. The guitar work in this song is a delight to the ears, and the way the band uses the piano adds to the magical vibe the song gives off. "Carol of the Bells" has always been an epic feeling track to me, and TSO makes the epic nature of it much more apparent to the listener. I especially love the ending where the guitarists get to show off to the listener in an explosive and memorable ending. This song embodies the spirit of what Christmas is supposed to be, and I can't go any winter without listening to it over and over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment